Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Welcome back! :)

This is another less-exciting post! My two first ones...ack! Bear with me on this one and I'll try to post something way more fun for my next one!

My acting professor has asked us to make a 'journal' entry each week about something that inspires us. I don't know if he'll accept my blog as my journal entry, but even if he doesn't I think that you can't go wrong reminding yourself of the inspiration that surrounds you! And since Tuesday is my least favorite day of the week, I think it's a good day to give myself a little boost and find something that inspires me.

If you read my bio (or know me at all) you probably know that I am a lover of country music. I joke that all I need in life is a pair of headphones and my Sugarland station on Pandora! I was never overly exposed to country, so I'm not sure where my love for it stemmed from (though my close friend, Emily (lead singer in the country band Ramblin' On - http://www.facebook.com/groups/153695214672284/ check 'em out!) will often try to take credit for my obsession/love/admiration, etc., of the country music world.) 



The Ramblin' On band

I think I love it so much because country music mostly focuses on the story that the lyrics tell and I am a very lyrical person. As a singer, the first thing I look for in a song is strong lyrics that I feel a connection to. In my opinion, country music delivers this. SO, don't be surprised if my "Inspiration of the Week" is often a country song or part of a country song.

With all of that said (I don't know why I ramble so much when I get on here... "I just have a lot of feelings!" -Mean Girls <3), my choice for my Inspiration of the Week this week would have to be the beautiful song "Little Miss" by Sugarland. While the whole song is absolutely beautiful, I want to hone in on one line that really strikes me each time I hear it.

First, do yourself a favor and listen to the song ^

Now, for my favorite bit:

"Yeah, sometimes you gotta lose til you win. It's alright, it's alright, it's alright. It'll be alright again."

I literally cannot express my love for these few lines without sounding like a 12 year old girl gushing about her gorgeous teacher (...or maybe that was me like 3 months ago. Whatever.).

I don't think there is a single person in this world who doesn't relate to these words on a very, very personal level. It's beautiful because it can be applied to everything we do in our lives. From the most minor things - running late to class AGAIN because you caught a red light (sometimes you gotta lose til you win) to overcoming a major personal obstacle such as depression, rejection, loss of a job, etc.

I mentioned before that I'm a musical theatre major. I want to be an actor. For a living. Like, to make money. Every day I wake up and say to myself "Are you out of your mind?" The answer is yes. I can't even begin to wrap my head around the kind of rejection I'm going to be facing and the struggles that I'm gonna have to go through just to make a career. I'm not letting that deter me because I LOVE it and I wouldn't be happy doing anything else. I'm hoping that this song, specifically these lyrics, will be able to bring me comfort during the times where I want to throw in the towel.

I feel like through the struggles I've had to deal with in my past, to the less severe things I'm facing now, and straight through to whatever life is going to throw at me, I can come back to the reminder that whatever I'm facing is a temporary problem and eventually it's going to improve, even when it seems like it won't. We've all had those long nights where we wonder if the hurt is going to stop, if our problems are ever going to get better...just remember that "sometimes you gotta lose til you win," and no matter what, "it'll be alright again."

1 comment: